Saturday, March 9, 2013

9 March 2013, Day 277

This building, at 6560 N. Sheridan Road, has some of the most beautiful glazed terra cotta I've ever seen, including a panoramic view of the Chicago skyline. It's future seems uncertain since Loyola University has purchased and torn down all the buildings that surround it (If the weather is half-decent tomorrow, i'll go back and take a picture from the other side of the street to give a better sense of its surroundings). It would be a real tragedy if this architectural gem was lost to the neighborhood. So far, Bruno Roti, the owner of the property and proprietor of the grungily iconic Bruno's Lounge next door, has refused to sell. I hope he can hold out forever. Even though a building like this one might not be old enough to qualify for historical status, it is unique and beautiful and deserves to be saved.   









1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is deeply disturbing news. I love this building, always have. Before I left Chicago, I took photos of this building and posted them on my blog, Yuccabloom.

I hope this building will be saved. Long live beautiful, unique architecture in Chicago!