Monday, June 18, 2012

18 June 2012, Day 13

Detail: "Agora" by Magdalena Abakanowicz


It was a perfect day for playing tourist without leaving town. I decided to take advantage of the Shedd Aquarium's special offer of free admission to Illinois residents, since all i really wanted to do was sit and watch the rays float gracefully by for about 20 minutes (I did) and maybe catch a glimpse of the evilest looking creature on earth, the green moray eel (I didn't). 


On the way to the Museum Campus, i passed this sculpture group, "Agora" by Magdalena Abakanowicz, located at the south end of Grant Park. I've seen it before, but it's such a wonderful, monumental installation that you really need to immerse yourself in it--become part of the crowd, as it were--to fully appreciate it. It is a group of 106 headless, cast-iron figures, which each stand about 9 feet tall. Most of the pictures i've seen of it try to capture the full scope of the work, but i thought i would focus on a detail instead. I must confess, that i wanted to take a picture of my own foot standing next to one of these massive iron feet, but i'm vain and desperately in need of a pedicure. Sorry!

No comments: