Tuesday, September 11, 2012

11 September 2012, Day 98




I did not plan to dwell on the past today, to let this date cast its dark memories over everything. The meaning of that day -- and of the eleven years of strangeness that began with it -- is ultimately inescapable, but i think i succeeded in making this a good day, though not in the way i had planned.  I intended to wander far afield, breathing the air still warm but charged with autumn, and taking pictures of someplace i'd never been before. In the end, i spent most of the day moving from one chair to another, reading, sorting through files, watching a documentary, and buying silent films on Amazon. It's been a productive day, though certainly not in terms of my physical fitness. I always carry a pedometer in my pocket, aiming for the recommended 10,000 steps a day, and i succeed surprisingly often. But not today: I barely cracked 1,000. Fortunately, there is something beautiful, interesting, or disturbing just about anywhere i look, so i didn't need to exert myself overmuch to find the wonderful and strange: moonflowers, white, luminous, and as big as luncheon plates. Here they are. May your hearts be unburdened, and your souls at peace.

No comments: