Tuesday, July 10, 2012

10 July 2012, Day 35

Chicago is really suffering from a lack of rain this summer, and the gardens and lawns reflect the dry conditions. Usually the embankment by the Metra tracks on Ravenswood Ave. is blooming with flowers planted by the folks in the neighborhood, but it was looking pretty sparse today. Even though there isn't much growing in the children's garden, i applaud the effort and love the little sign.


 Not a pretty picture, but this will give you an idea of how badly drought-ridden Chicago is. This is what most of the lawns look like in my neighborhood. 

This next group of pictures is from Gethsemane Gardens in Andersonville. I was not in the best of moods after my walk through the parched landscape, muttering to myself about climate change, gas-guzzling SUVs, the handwriting on the wall, and other things that tend to make people cross the street rather than walk past me. But this place really is an urban oasis (even though i'm always sorely tempted to completely bust the budget when i go there), and it's impossible not to feel a little better just being there and seeing all those gorgeous flowers and plants. I wanted some lobelia to replace the ones that haven't fared so well in my garden, but i also picked up some white vincas and some pink and purple petunias while i was there. As the cashier was ringing up my sale, i commented to her that 10 minutes wandering through Gethsemane Gardens is better than blood-pressure medication. She laughed and said that's how she feels working there. 





No comments: